Dan Faller, President of the Apartment Owners Association, and Dennis Block have a detailed discussion on the spread of tenant welfare.
Dennis Block appeared on the John & Ken Show on KFI Radio. This broadcast aired on November 1, 2019. The discussion centered on the newly enacted Statewide Rent Control.
1. The Impact of Statewide Rent Control
2. Strategies To Obtain Market Rent Under Statewide Rent Control
3. What Steps should Be Taken Prior To Leasing A Unit
4. Items That Must Be Contained In Your Lease Agreement
5. Change Of Ownership Requirements
6. The Unlawful Detainer Process
7. Rent Control Notice Must Be Posted On The Property
8. Service Of The Rent Registration Certificate
9. New Requirements To Serve A 3 Day Notice
10. Items Required In A 3 Day Notice To Quit
11. Keep Accurate Rental Records
12. When Does A 3 Day Notice Expire
Update-You cannot serve a 60 day notice on property subject to Statewide Rent Control after Oct. 31, 2019
This seminar was sponsored by the Apartment Owners Association. It is a detailed presentation of the things you can do achieve a successful outcome in small claims court.
Introducing My New Co-Host, Ryan Block
1. Judge's Bias
2. Advocating for Landlord Rights
3. New Laws Regarding Airbnb
4. Laundry Leases
5. Reimbursement for Soft Retro-Fitting
6. New Rules for a 3 Day Notice in Unincorporated LA County
7. Ellis Act- The Ultimate Rent Control Solution
1. The New Laws and How They Impact Landlords
2. Rent Control Spreading to Unincorporated Areas of Los Angeles County, Glendale and Inglewood.
3. What You Need to Know
Update:Los Angeles County- Does not require that you serve the tenant a notice by certified mail return receipt.
1. A new 3 Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit
2. Tenants Refuse to Give Their Names After a Foreclosure
3. Prejudgment Claimants Delaying Eviction Cases
4. Tenants Displaying Signs in Their Windows
5. How to Terminate a Section 8 Tenancy
6. Service/Comfort Animals
7. Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
1. Free Attorneys Appointed For Tenants.
2. Request For Jury Trials In Tenant Eviction Cases.
3. New Language In A 3 Day Pay Or Quit Notice
4. Canceling Section 8 Contracts In LA Rent Control
5. Rents Determine The Value Of The Property.
Hear my interview with Arif Halaby of Total Financial Solutions. This was was broadcasted on KRLA Radio "The Answer"
Dennis Block appearing on the "Total Financial Solutions" on KRLA 870 AM Radio with host Arif Halaby.
1. Rent Control Spreading
2. Vacancy Decontrol
3. Malcontent Tenants
4. Nuisance Tenants
5. Evidence Required For A Nuisance Eviction
6. Shriver Project-Free Attorney Requesting Jury Trials
7. Settling Eviction Cases
8. Sealing Eviction Records
9 Unauthorized Persons
10. Monetary Awards In Eviction Actions
11. Smoking Marijuana On The Premises
Hear the actual seminar by Attorney Dennis Block at the Long Beach Convention Center. This was sponsored the Apartment Owners Association on May 15, 2018
Rent Control is spreading. What landlords should do now to protect themselves. Do not get caught unprepared.
1. Costa Hawkins Saved!
2. Separate Parking Agreement.
3. Removing Amenities Equal Lower Rent.
4. Storing Items in the Common Areas.
5. Evicting Tenants for Partial Payment of Rent.
6. Rent Control Strategies.
1. Rent Control Spreading-What You Need To Do Right Now.
2. Tenant Requesting Jury Trials In Tenant Eviction Cases
3. Substituting Tenants
1. Switching Roommates
2. Aggressive Dogs as Service Animals
3. When Can You Serve a Rent Notice
4. Smoking in Common Areas
5. Cultivating Marijuana
6. Tenants Paying for Capital Improvements
7. Voluntary Vacate Agreements
8. Parking Unauthorized Vehicles
1. How to handle a situation where a tenant dies in your unit.
2. Dealing with AIRBNB.
3. Should you accept a co-signer.
4. How much can you raise rent and the process involved.
5. What properties are subject to rent control.
6. Tenant demanding compensation if landlord requires access.
1. Privacy issues in recording conversation.
2. Discrimination Issues
3. Comfort animals -Rooster
4. Costa Hawkins Law
5. Pet Deposits
6. Grounds to deny or accept an applicant.
1. Installing electric charging stations in apartment complex.
2. Tenants cultivating marijuana.
3. Tenant changing locks without Landlord's permission.
4. New Law- Voluntary Vacate Agreements.
5. The significance of renting guest houses and new laws.
1. Landlord barring applicants from foreign countries.
2. Applicants without a social security number.
3. Applicants with a gun collection.
4. Barring marijuana cultivation and smoking.
5. Tenants and their guests responsible for damage.
6. Tenant requesting the right to move in a caregiver.
7. Rent Increase and Notice to Quit requirements.
8. Applicant without credit.
1. Property in REAP.
2. Warehouse fire in Oakland.
3. Rent control creates higher rent.
4. Leasing to Corporations.
5. Service Animals.
6. Requiring tenants to temporarily vacate for repairs.
7. Rent Increases.
8. What properties are under rent control.
9. Evicting family members that do not pay rent.
10. Taking rent during an eviction action
1. Significance of the election on the Supreme Court.
2. Charging a tenant for the preparation of a 3-day notice.
3. Advertising a "No Pet" building.
4. Habitability as a basis for withholding the rent.
5. Buyer wants rent control unit vacated at the close of the escrow.
6. Are landlords responsible when a tenant is forced to temporarily to vacate?
7. Are there limitation to raising the rent?
8. Permissible items to be deducted from the security deposit.
1. Our 17th Attorney- Vazgen Pogosyan
2. Requirement To Provide A Reasonable Accommodation
3. Alterations To The Premises
4. Termination Of The Tenancy
5. Landlord's Obligation To Maintain Appliances.
6. Change Of Ownership